Two termly series led by Sr Particia Harris helping us discover together how God speaks to us through different books of the Bible.
Autumn 2023 Term
The first and second books of Samuel: how Israel began to be ruled by kings, the story of Saul and David.
We shall explore these two books, which tell the stories of notable characters in Israel’s history, chosen and used by God: Samuel himself, Saul, the first king, and David, great in his lifetime, and the one from whose descendants the Christ was to come. But it is also an absorbing human story of weakness, rivalries, jealousy and competition – and of generosity and new beginnings.
- 20 November 2023: Samuel and the choice of Saul (Chs.1-12)
- 27 November 2023: Saul and David (Chs.13-23)
- 4 December 2023: Saul’s growing jealousy; the rivalry which leads to his death. (Chs.24-II Sam 1)
- 11 December 2023: How David becomes established as king (II Sam 2-12)
- 18 December 2023: David and his sons – the revolt, and the final years of David’s reign. (Chs.13-24)
Spring 2024 Term
Deuteronomy: the ‘second law’, a reflected version of the Exodus experience.
Over the centuries, helped by the teaching of the prophets, Israel sees the connection between love and law: God’s love for his chosen people, and their response in loving obedience. We may see a parallel with St. John’s Gospel, later than the Synoptics, and also coming from reflection.
- 19 February 2024: Moses looks back on Israel’s experience (Chs.1-11)
- 26 February 2024: Looking again at the Law (Ch.12)
- 4 March 2024: Looking again at the Law, concluded (Chs.26:15)
- 11 March 2024: Final reflections and blessings from Moses, and his death (Chs.26:15-34)
Sr Patricia CJ is a member of the York CJ community with a particular interest in scripture studies.
Dates and Bookings
In Centre from Mondays 10am to 12 noon. £20 for each series of four sessions.